Skip to main content

Tobacco Industry Exposed : Industry tactics targeting Young People and Food Industry is no exception

I also guarantee that every consumer is aware of the harm caused from tobacco but in reality they have been trapped under calculated industry tactics and socio-economic pressures.  

 Subhiksha Shankarraman*

I used to always wonder ‘what is good health and am I able to lead one sufficiently?’. During my adolescence, I had become very fond of Blue Lays.It’s ‘Indian magic masala’ kept lingering in my taste buds that I just could not stop after eating just 1 packet. 
I craved for more even though I was well aware of it’s side effects.  I am a mindful consumer but it was not until my early twenties that I learnt to reflect on my choice and change my consumption behaviour. Blue Lays being cheap, tasty, less time consuming to prepare and easily available, it found its way to substitute our healthy but time consuming home made chips that my Amma used to prepare. You may wonder, if I was mindful of my choice, why did I choose to consume so many Blue Lays packets in a day?; I believe that it was because I was in an environment which was deceiving and unsafe for me to make healthy choices. The nudging techniques like bright colour packaging, frontal product positioning at eye sight level, cheap price, extra offers etc. used by the business people and industry successfully influenced me to be a loyal customer but at the cost of my good health. 

After several discussions with Mr. Suneel Vatsyayan, who is a social worker, dedicated to NCDs prevention and rehabilitation of people living with dependence on tobacco ,alcohol and other addictive behaviour , I now wonder whether a person (especially the youth) addicted to tobacco or alcohol go through a similar situation. In 2019, Mr. Vatsyayan was awarded the Rex Karmaveer Award and he is known for his ground-breaking work in the field of peer education, barrier free services, counselling and youth engagement for tobacco control. From being in numerous conversations with him and despite being a non-consumer of either tobacco or alcohol, I am able to understand how a consumer’s behaviour can be manipulated and trapped in a certain way. 

Tobacco is one such expensive commodity that affects youth and people living with tobacco use. They now make up a considerable size of the population of India representing the present generation contributing to extensive growth.  I also guarantee that every consumer is aware of the harm caused from tobacco but in reality they have been trapped under calculated industry tactics and socio-economic pressures. 

Mr. Vatsyayan again described to me an analogy of a daring lion who also gets trapped by the hunter in spite of all its strength and wisdom, similar to a youth who gets trapped by the industries. They influence young people’s choices, ensuring they are not fully informed in this market driven society. This analogy has changed my narrative on the industry’s tactics and how they continue to blame the young people for their behaviour rather than owning responsibility. This changed narrative empowered me and I was filled with a bout of energy to move further with the work of Nada Young India Network for Good Health

*Nada Good Health Champion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family is exposed to second-hand smoke that adds to their indoor pollution, a risk factor for NCDs says Suneel

Suneel Vatsyayan says " In our society, tobacco is comparatively more acceptable, affordable, and available"   Vinnie, Nada Health Advocate   Vinnie Choudhry is a student of management, pursuing her MBA from IIM Bangalore. She graduated in Economics from the University of Delhi. She has been associated with Nada India Foundation since her school days where she participated in a Pehchaan Radio club Show which waconducted to raise drug awareness amongst young people.  The following interview was conducted on phone with  Mr. Suneel Vatsyayan, founder of Nada India Foundation, which has been working for prevention of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs and non-communicable diseases for 20 years now. The organisation has been instrumental in rehabilitating the lives of several families whose members were caught in the web of addiction. Vinnie - Sir, Thanks for getting on call with us. Can you tell us about how you decided about setting up Nada India Founda...

2025: Listening Deeply. 2026: Walking Forward—Together.

  Young India Network for Good Health 2025: Listening Deeply. 2026: Walking Forward—Together. As we close the pages of 2025 and lean into the promise of 2026, one truth stands steady: when young people are trusted, communities breathe easier. This year belonged to youth voices—adolescents finding language for their feelings, students choosing courage over silence, and young leaders creating spaces where they belong. To every young person who stayed, spoke up, stumbled, learned, and returned— thank you . You didn’t just join a program; you co-created safe, honest spaces for well-being. The Year Youth Led the Way  2025 was dedicated to the journeys that don’t come with neat maps. We celebrated role models who walk with integrity and heart— Monica Menon , Nada Good Health Ambassador, for showing how sport, discipline, and mental strength can shape healthier lives; and Hiral , whose consistency, commitment, and confidence remind us that growth is rarely tidy—and that’s okay...

Owning Knowledge, Owning Action – My Journey from Social Work to Law through RTI and COTPA

Owning Knowledge, Owning Action – My Journey from Social Work to Law through RTI and COTPA  If I had to name one thing that Nada India Foundation and Suneel Sir have permanently etched into my heart, it would be this: Ownership of Knowledge. This isn’t about collecting facts like stamps in an album. It’s about holding knowledge in your hands, understanding it deeply, making it a part of your thinking, and — most importantly — putting it into action. I first learned this lesson in my social work days, and I’ve carried it everywhere since — right into the heart of my legal journey. From Social Work to the Law Books During my undergraduate and postgraduate studies in social work, I worked on issues ranging from youth awareness to substance abuse prevention . Those days taught me that knowledge without application is like a library that’s never opened. When I transitioned into law school, I didn’t leave my social work instincts behind. I chose law as a career because it was another ...