Skip to main content

Healthy lifestyle is a trend and cool thing to do.... Dr.Antra Nada Health volunteer

Dr.Antra Singh* A typical day in the life of an NGO intern during the times of virtual reality & #COVID19 

The compelling part of this reality is there is no “typical day”. Some days I just sit in front of my laptop and create, edit training modules, some days are just attending meetings and discussions with my team, and some days I go crazy preparing, reviewing, organizing material. Some days are unstructured and filled with chaos. And then there are even days, I do nothing. Nothing at all. All this, in the midst of attending my virtual classes, as a student of public health. When I think about the journey so far, it has been nothing but a quest to look deep within my own self, surprisingly. 

My work as and intern @Nada India
Primarily, my work in the NGO Nada India Foundation involves preparing and conducting training sessions, as a peer supporter. I cannot really recall since when, I had this social bend in mind, wanting to work in the social sector. 
Learning about social sector
However, working as a dentist in the clinic did not make me feel completely fulfilling, although I did take small steps and initiatives, but those were not commitments. Finally, it made me take up public health and I landed in Nada India Foundation as an intern during the phase of the coronavirus pandemic. In a situation, where I would not be meeting people, but I would be working with them. And I met the brightest of people in this virtual world who inspired me to push my limits. I was talking and working with people from different spheres and ages. Each one taught me something valuable. 
Nada Peer educatorA collaborative learning Experience 
Conducting the training sessions, not only gives me a lot of learning about each detail of presenting and educating, but inner satisfaction comes as a part of the deal. The greatest thing about these sessions was the personal feedback I received from not only my team, but our chairperson of Nada India and guide, Suneel sir. His huge aspirations and motivation plug in just the right amount of knowledge and dedication into me. He made me understand that things don’t work until you are cool-headed and humble.
As a NCD Caregiver 
 I was actually motivated to work in the area of “NCDs and alcohol”, this comes from my personal life experiences. I have interacted with many people, who have been victims, of domestic violence because their husbands have a drinking problem. These people have been my housemaids, people I have known quite close. The most close being my maternal uncle, who is now in rehab, after being diagnosed with liver cirrhosis. I have not only seen him face various health issues due to his habit, but have had to see my cousin brother, go through the social and economic implications of his father having this drinking habit. Not being able to do much about it in my own family have not made me give up on the challenges others face due to alcoholism. 

Youth for wellbeing: ‘Healthy lifestyle is a trend’ and cool thing to do ...
My understanding of health and prevention, has allowed me to take up this area to build a more sustainable society and indeed ‘health for all’ is my goal. To the young generation out there, I just want them to understand that this life is precious. And we are responsible for our own well-being. By indulging in good habits, and little efforts for our own health and well-being, we are not just helping ourselves, but doing our bit for the society. And the youth today is who can turn ‘healthy lifestyle’ into the ‘trend’ and ‘cool thing to do’, rather than letting addiction be the ‘fashionable thing’. My confidence is in the youth to understand and undertake this responsibility.
*Nada Health volunteer ,Peer Supporter &  Aspiring Public Health professional 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bollywood Actor Challenges Liquor Legislation

Bollywood Actor Challenges Liquor Legislation NTDTV In an effort to discourage youngsters from consuming alcohol, the provincial government of India 's western Maharashtra state this June increased the legal age limit from 21 to 25. Khan calls this act of state government an infringement of individual ... < http://english.ntdtv.com/ntd t v_en/news_asia/2011-09-15/bol l ywood-actor-challenges-liquor - legislation.html >

Children are victims of alcohol use and worst sufferer

Dad throws kids into well after failing to buy booze   AsiaOne   INDIA - A man killed his six-year-old son when his wife refused to give him money to buy alcohol. The incident occurred at the Sambakulam village on the outskirts of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. P. Sundarajan threw his two children into a well after his wife ... < http://news.asiaone.com/News/ AsiaOne%2BNews/Crime/Story/ A1S tory20120507-344222.html > Read more  Children are victims of alcohol use and worst sufferer 

Exploring the Streets of Bengaluru: Face Reading and Shared Risks

Sometimes, the most profound lessons come from stepping out into the world, engaging with people from all walks of life, and embracing the shared risks that come with unconventional learning experiences... Suneel My recent stay in Bengaluru took an unexpected turn when I decided to explore the back lanes of MG Road. Little did I know that a chance encounter with a psychology student would open up a fascinating experience of face reading right there on the bustling streets. As I strolled down MG Road, absorbing the energy and chaos of the city, my attention was drawn to a student of psychology standing just after the Metro station. What caught my eye was a playful cardboard sign that boldly declared, "Myth: Psychologists can read faces. Fun Fact: Psychologists can actually read faces!" Intrigued and amused, I approached him, struck by the audacity of his endeavor. Leaning against an electric pole, he invited people from the street to get their faces read. It took courage to st